Thursday, September 11, 2008

Glutton for punishment

Remember all my recent talk about how great it is to ride for fun and not for the sake of racing? Well that was a bunch of bull crap. All of it.

Somehow, I've convinced myself that it would be a good idea to race the 12 hours of Sundance this Saturday. I figured my wife would veto the idea, but she had also been devising a strategy to go on a "book club retreat" the following weekend, and was in the mood to bargain. Given the number of Saturday mornings she's given me this summer, I would have been happy to let her go with no strings attached, but if I could get an entire Saturday out of the deal, I wasn't about to pass it up. Because that's just the kind of wonderful person I am.

So here I am, getting ready to do a repeat of the Park City Perfect 10. Except instead of trying to go around in the most circles for 10 hours, I'll be trying to go around in the most circles for 12 hours. And instead of being able to go as slow as I wanted to with no outside pressures, I'll be racing as a duo, so I may actually feel the need to try and go fast, and going fast at this point in the season seems to hurt even worse than it did back in June.

I'll be racing with my pal Brandon. Since he's the faster rider, I wonder if he'd be up for riding 2 or 3 laps for every 1 lap I ride? Now that sounds like something I can handle! Waddaya say, Brandon?

No comments: