Saturday, January 17, 2009

Earning some turns

The plan was to take it easy on Friday in preparation for the winter tri on Saturday. And then Keith tells me that he's planning on snowshoeing up a chute behind Timp and boarding back down. I didn't want to prove Fish's "tri-geek" allegation correct by passing on this in order to save myself for the race the next day, so we met up Friday morning and started trekking above Aspen grove:


The unmistakable Mt. Timpanogos in the background:


Keith drops in:


Keith's old man enjoying the reward:

The snow was surprisingly good and soft up high. Down lower the snow was pretty cruddy, but still fun. This was the first time I'd hiked my snowboard in, and I'm already hooked. I'd been considering whether I should learn to downhill ski and by an alpine touring setup, go all out and learn how to telemark, or just stick with what I know and get a splitboard. After Friday, I think a splitboard is the way to go. I don't know if this old dog could learn how to be a proficient skier of any kind, and snowboarding in the powder is just too much fun.

For my 4-year-old's first day on skis, check out the family blog.

The details on my first tri-geek experience are coming soon.

No comments: