Thursday, June 11, 2009

Smoking the Pipe

On Monday, Adam and I beat the rain and got a great ride in up on the Timp Foothill Trails. Adam introduced me to the new Crank-to-Frank trail that many are calling "Kenny's trail":



Then on the way down, I took a hit on the infamous pipe up Dry Canyon:


And here I am smoking the pipe:



I should warn you about taking hits on the pipe. The pipe is an addiction. You're afraid to take your first hit, but when you do, you get this sudden rush. The rush makes you want it more. So you do it again and again, thinking each time that just one hit on the pipe can't hurt you, and that you can quit at anytime. But deep down, you know. Someday, that pipe is going to kill you.

And if the pipe doesn't, the Stairway to Heaven at the bottom will. Just ask Ricky.

A couple of trail updates and useful bits of information:

On Saturday, the ridge trail system was in near-perfect condition. I was expecting a lot more mud and snow, but there was no snow at all.  Jurassic Park, Joy, Pine Hollow, Salamander Flat, Willow Creek, Horse Flat, all great.  

There were a few patches of mud that were easy to walk through or around. Unless, of course, you're on a motorcycle, in which case you are apparently encouraged to give 'er full throttle, throw a rooster-tail 20 feet high and create a foot deep trench in the trail.  Love them.


The Timp Foothill Trails (Frank, Crank, Betty, Area 51, Dry, etc.):  I've heard a lot of people complaining about the rain lately.  I'm going to let you in on a little secret.  Once the Timp Foothill trails are dry, they stay dry.  All summer.  

Last night, I couldn't find anyone to ride with.  Everyone was bummed about the torrential downpour that had just finished. I took off alone at about 7:30 and road the dirt for almost 2 hours in perfect conditions.  Not a single puddle or muddy section.  My feet were soaked by the flowers and grass, but that really just added to how great the ride was.  

So unless we're in the middle of 2-3 days of solid rain (which only happens once every few years around here), the Timp Foothill Trails are good to go about 2 hours after the downpour stops.  

You're welcome.

10 comments:

Ski Bike Junkie said...

The trail beta is nice. The ass shot is even nicer. Apparently there's an ass shot bloom exploding on the Interwebz this week.

My word verification is "ping I beg." Just thought I'd point that out. Make of it what you will.

nails said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grizzly Adam said...

I rode today after the considerable downpour. I stuck to the lower BST and it was for the most part, perfect. A little soft in spots with a puddle or two, but otherwise...

Although I'd guess that the upper loops were a little softer in spots.

Wesla said...

I think you'd be surprised. Last night, the closest thing I saw to a soft spot was on the lower BST in the draws. The upper parts were in better shape.

SBJ - mine was "licks." Not sure I even want you to make of it what you will.

Aaron said...

By the way, that was me, logged in as Wesla.

nails said...

Hey, i throw roosters on my mountain bike. Sorry i missed the riding, i guess i had my head down.

nails said...

Deer valley tomorrow? should be a treat.

Aaron said...

Nails, I bet you had Mt. Dew in your camelback while throwing those roosters. I'm planning on DV.

South County Ciclista said...

Nice to know some place is dry to ride MTB. Hey and it is right by my work. I should start riding at lunch again. Any takers?

Aaron said...

SCC - we got out today during lunch, but I figured you would be riding next to the great wall of snow above Kamas. I'm out of town all next week, but I'll be ready to start riding again after that. Gotta get ready for the Wasatch Classic!