Monday, August 10, 2009

Be Good Like Susan

As Adam, Brandon and I sat at the back of the cultural hall for Susan's funeral, we tried to pick out some of our cycling friends from the congregation. A few times, we went back and forth 2 or 3 times trying to decide if we had identified our bald-headed friends correctly. Adam mentioned that it would be a lot easier if everyone was wearing a cycling kit or a ski suit.

Seeing so many cycling friends in suits and ties and wiping tears from their eyes was a sobering sight. It was good to see that the bonds of riding and skiing go far beyond the singletrack and powder days.

Elden talked about how Susan managed to turn cancer into a good thing by raising over $600,000 for cancer research. That is certainly impressive and is easy to quantify. What is harder to quantify, but every bit as impressive, is the positive influence she had on others. By following Susan's example, I'll renew my efforts to be a good spouse, a good parent, a good son to my mom who has cancer, a good friend, a good neighbor, and in the words of Susan's sister-in-law, "just plain good." I know I'm not the only one who drove away from the chapel today with a resolve to be good (and fight) like Susan.

5 comments:

Jonnie J said...

Hey I saw you come in but didn't make it over to say Hi. A very nice service for a very nice lady.

Rick Sunderlage said...

i didn't see you guys back there. I can't picture adam in a suit.

That was a great funeral. Very, very good but I think I lost a few lbs in tears and snot.

Ski Bike Junkie said...

Well said. What impressed me most was that Elden and Susan never fought. Rachel has that same "this is not an argument" Jedi mind trick, but the dark side is strong in me, and I somehow manage to make it one anyway from time to time. I came away resolved to not do that any more. And i resolved to fix a bunch of other things where by comparison I am a slug, but I'm out of room.

KanyonKris said...

Be good - that's the message I got too. Well said.

Yes, seeing Adam in a suit was trippy. You looked good, Grizzly.

Rick - if you do good at Leadville, you'll know why, and you'll make millions with your snot and tears diet.

SBJ - I had similar thoughts, well put. To not argue at home, perhaps we should start a verbal fight club for husbands.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the funeral...those of us on the West coast missed out. Glad you guys all have each other to keep Elden busy.