Thursday, September 3, 2009

Confidence Boost

Before big races like the Park City Point to Point, the nerves set in and self doubt starts to infiltrate my thoughts. Especially when I consider that I can count the number of 4+ hour days I've spent on the bike this year on one hand, and the number of 6+ hour days on 1 finger (RAWROD).


Then I stopped in at Racer's yesterday afternoon with my bike in tow. Most other shops would have told me to come back in a few days. Instead, Racer dropped what he was doing and spent a half hour or more fine-tuning my bike. I'm not sure what it is, but there is something about Racer working his magic on a bike that builds confidence. I had an easy 40 minute spin on the way into work today and my bike was running flawlessly again. I know it's just a well-running bike, but it spills over to my outlook on the rest of the race as well. Now I'm ready to go. And I think I have it in me to go fast.

Thanks again, Racer.

2 comments:

Ski Bike Junkie said...

I know what you mean. Probably psychological, but having that little boost makes a big difference.

I'm trying to find the upside of being sick all week. I've lost two pounds and had lots of rest. I'm hoping that translates into good performance next weekend.

Rick Sunderlage said...

Racer has the magic hands. The pre-race shop visit is a ritual for me. Good luck on Sat. I hope you crush it.